Millard County Highpoint Trip Report
Mine Camp Peak (10,222 ft)
Date: August 15, 2004
Author: Dale Millsap
We followed Scott Surgent's directions from Richfield and agree with his observations. We left Richfield at
11:00 am and arrived at the cattle guard at 12:30 pm. We hiked to Mine Camp and arrived back at the
vehicle at 1:00 pm. However, after returning from the peak we elected to continue along FR-103 into
Fillmore, arriving at 1:30 pm. I will give the directions in reverse for the next person who elects to come up
here from Fillmore:
From Fillmore it was a relief to be back on smooth roads for the drive north to Salt Lake City.
We arrived home at 3:30 pm.
- Take exit 167 off I-15 in Fillmore and travel south on Main Street for 1.7 miles.
- Turn left on 200 South Canyon Road and travel 0.8 mile east.
- Turn right on 700 East Sand Rock Ridge and travel 0.4 mile south until pavement ends.
- Continue south and then east on a well-maintained gravel road 1.5 miles to a cattle guard
and a sign indicating entry into the National Forest.
- Continue up the gravel road an additional 2.5 miles. Here there is a parking area
and minor roads to the left and a sign warning you that the road ahead is for jeep travel only.
- If you have 4WD and high clearance, take the main jeep road to the right (straight)
and follow it 5 miles up the mountain to the cattle guard at the saddle which
Scott Surgent and others have mentioned. It is rough and steep in places but is a good route.